Bangalore to Nandi Hills
Loaded with a wealth of natural bio-diversity, it offers a panoramic landscape from 4,851 ft above sea level. Perched on top of the hill is an old, historical Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple, dating back to the Chola period. It has a 1,000-year- oldsculpture of Nandi. It is also perhaps called Nandi Hills because the hills resemble a sleeping bull (Nandi).
Inhale the serenity at Amruth Sarovar, a gorgeous lake surrounded by lush nature.Many rivers are born here - the Penner, Ponnaiyar, Palar and Arkavathy rivers.
Bangalore to Nandi Hills Located close to the Bangalore International Airport and about 20 km from theNational Highway (NH-7) just after Devanahalli Town, it is approximately 60 km from Bengaluru.
Tourist Attractions on the Hills
1. Tipu's Drop - the well-known place from where Tippu Sultan had his condemned prisoners thrown to death.
2. Tipu's Summer Palace and Fort - During the Ganga period, the Chikkaballapur chieftains built a fort. Tippu strengthened it further and also built a rest house. This used to be Tippu’s summer bungalow. It is not open to the public.
3. Horse Way - A stone doorway in the fort on the North-eastern side is believed to have been the horse way for helping soldiers to climb the wall on horseback.
4. Secret Escape Route - A secret passage on the west is rumoured to have helped the kings to escape during unforeseen attacks.
5. Temples -Dedicated to Sri Bhoga Narasimha, Sri Ugra Narasimha and Sri Yoga Narasimha these ancient temples are worth seeing.
6. Gavi Veerbhadra Swamy Temple: Built on top of the hill, en route to Sultanpet, a natural formation of huge boulders have transformed into a splendid temple.
7. Children's Playground - The Horticulture department maintains a lovely garden for children to play games like the slides, merry-go-round, swings etc.
8. Nehru Nilaya – This is the now-renovated Guest House, where Jawaharlal Nehru used to stay.
9. Gandhi House, where the Mahatma himself stayed, is under the management of DPAR (Protocol) Government of Karnataka and is reserved for the stay of important dignitaries.
10. Mayura Restaurant: Operated by The Horticulture Department, this restaurant is a welcome relief for tourists.
11. Rivers - the rivers Pennar, Palar and Arkavati originate from these hills
12. Brahmashram - it is said that Sage Ramakrishna meditated here.
13. Paragliding - Nandi Hills is one of the unique place in Karnataka which offers paragliding activity.
14. Cycling/biking - Nandi Hills is cyclists paradise, bikers and cyclists flock the place to train.
Nearby Tourist Attractions
1. Someshwara swami temple (Or Bhoga Nandeeshwara temple) is in the NandiGrama (Nandi village), a couple of km from the base of Nandi Hills.
2. Nandi Railway station is about a kilometer from NandiGrama. It is a small, old railway station in the middle of a forest, with huge trees.
3. Anjaneya temple, Nellikayi Basavanna, Antaragange, Baananthi Bande, etc.